Some Day We'll Learn...

My bud Mark Mulligan was playing at the Waterfront last night. One of the first things he said to me was, "We're not staying here until 2 AM. I have to leave for California at 5 AM tomorrow morning." I said, "No 2 AM for sure because I have to go in early for an all day training class tomorrow." Then we both gave each other a 'who are we kidding?' look.

See, Mark is a bad influence and I am easily influenced. We used to close down Kona Jack's when he did his gigs there (always on a school night) and one time the Waterfront staff actually asked us to leave because they wanted to go home. That was a 2 AM night...and I think it was during the week, too.

Sometimes it's not even our fault at all. Despite our best intentions, there's someone else with us who makes us stay out. A lot of times, it's his brother John and it used to be Tom Hankins a lot before he abandoned us to go live on a boat.

So, we agreed to leave no later than midnight.

Then, Tom Hankins walked in to the bar.

I knew our midnight plans were screwed and that I was going to be one tired puppy in my training class.

Sure enough, Tom made (I'm telling you, I have no free will, I just do what I'm told) me do some tequila and he bought Mark a stack of rum and diets and next thing I knew, it was 12:45.

Thank goodness I was at a place that's actually somewhat close to my house. I got home at 1 and cursed Mark and Tom at 6 this morning when my alarm went off. Four Diet Pepsis have kept me going so far but I don't think they'll carry me through the rest of the day. I can't imagine how tired Mark was driving to Santa Barbara.

Man, ya think we'll ever stop doing this to ourselves?

Popular posts from this blog

This Is How Fat Thinks

TV At Its Finest

Frank Abagnale - The Art of the Steal