Bad Timing

Those daily coupon people really have my number. They send me the most tempting offers. I can't believe I've only taken them up on two so far.

The first was my second Brazilian Blowout. I got a good price break but I'm not convinced that the solution was the same, or as good as, the stuff the stylist used the first time. The straight effect was much stronger and longer lasting. I think I'll pony up some more money next time and go back to the original place.

The second was for a combo of three facial treatments that are valued at a total of $650. I got them at a bargain!

I had the first two treatments on my vacation day on Tuesday. The first was a facial peel. Basically, they brush on an acidic solution that's supposed to exfoliate your skin. Sounds good but what it actually does is make the top layer or two of your skin peel off like a sunburn does. The theory is that it brings the healthier skin layers to the top and gives you a glowing complexion and decreases fine lines in your skin.

The woman told me that I would start peeling on Thursday night. She was off a bit in her estimate. I started peeling at lunch on Thursday. A lot. It looked like my entire chin and the area around my mouth was cracked and coming off. Of course, I didn't realize it until I went in to the bathroom after lunch and looked in to the mirror.

Yikes!

I must have scared the poor girl at Sonic half to death with my decaying zombie look. (Is that redundant? Aren't all zombies decaying?) It also explains why my buddy who held the door open for me on my return to the office gave me this really strange look. I'm debating whether to explain it to him or just let it go.

I spent the rest of the day slathering on moisturizer to protect the newly exposed skin and putting powder on to hide the whole thing. Mental note: next peel needs to happen on Thursday so I can schedule Saturday as a stay at home and just scare the cat day.

I'm actually a little nervous about tomorrow. My hope is that it all sloughs off tonight because I really don't want to spend New Year's Eve looking like a leper. "Is that sliced onion in your dinner?" "Um, no, just a big skin flake. Bon apetit!"

The good news is that you're supposed to avoid the sun after you've a had a peel and that's easy right now. With the extreme cold and rain that we're having, there's no shot at even getting sun so I got that going for me.

The other treatment was not at all invasive and pretty relaxing. LED Photo Rejuvenation is the newest non-invasive, non-laser procedure using LED light therapy, the skin has the ability to absorb infrared light and use it as a source of energy to stimulate cellular regeneration, to dramatically reduce wrinkles by promoting collagen, increasing skin oxygenation and moisture, increasing inner skin firmness, and accelerating skin repair! Photo rejuvenation infrared LED light therapy, an affordable, natural, and healthy way to look younger without surgery, lasers, peels or injections.

OK, can you tell that description came from the Spa's website? It was cool. You get to wear those fake tan goggles and lie down for 20 minutes while a machine goes through four cycles of bright light, lesser light then blue light. Between lying down, the classical music and the tinkling fountain right outside the room, it was hard to not fall asleep.

My third treatment is set for four weeks from now. I have to wait that long because of the peel. It's called a Photofacial.

How do Photofacial treatments work?
Today's new light technology delivers precise dosages of energy to the skin. During your treatment, light energy is gently delivered through a special handpiece to the targeted area. Levels of energy specific to your treatment are used to maximize your improvement. Once delivered, the light energy is absorbed by the targeted damaged tissue. After any treatment, you should follow your home care instructions, avoid any harsh skin cleansers and always use sunscreen.

Again, from the website.

Why am I subjecting myself to all of this? Well, I think it's well established that I'm in denial about my age and the "fine lines" on my face are turning into "light grooves". That makes pretending I'm not old a little difficult. I also have a gazillion freckles and a few sun spots that I would like to make go away.

I just hope it's all worth it in the end. Or, maybe it shouldn't be so I can just stop and not invest any more money?

Nah, I want it to be worth it.

Comments

K T Cat said…
LOL! God bless you. You're worth plenty just as yourself, peels and treatments or no.
Cheesehead said…
Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020