A Glass Act

I was recently in Tacoma, WA and my friends and I played tourist by visiting The Museum of Glass.

You're greeted by pieces by Dale Chihuly on display in the walls and ceiling of a bridge from the street to the main building. Then you see an oddly compelling water fountain before you head inside. I could have watched it for quite a while but we were raring to get inside.

View of the bridge ceiling.



Fountain with polite request to not throw coins in to it. 
Because's it made of glass so, duh.

It's a very cool place! Also, a literally very hot place as you can sit in on the glass blowing and watch works in progress in the appropriately named Hot Shop. You will break a sweat in no time. Those peeps are tough who are working right next to the fires. The fire is in the "Glory Hole" which makes my inner 13 year old laugh.






They have cameras on the work areas and broadcast the images
 on big screens so you can see the details better.

We could only take so much of the heat and were soon in the exhibit areas. I was drawn to a series of unsophisticated but charming pieces along the hallway. Upon closer inspection, they're pieces designed by kids that the artists then make.






Our next stop was the Exhibition area where there were some magnificent glass pieces and also striking glass and metal works.


There's always that one person...






My favorite.


Final stop was the Gift Shop (one simply does not skip the shopping though Mike tried to). A little out of my budget on a lot of the items plus I don't think glassworks would last very long in my house. #terrors But, there were some gorgeous pieces available.

All in all, definitely worth the trip. Dress for hot weather because it would be fun to watch a lot of the work in progress.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

May 2020

March 2020