Nothing Like a Good Cuban

I'm talking sandwich, not cigar here. Though the cigars are pretty good, too.

My boss and I went to lunch yesterday at The Havana Cafe. I ordered the Cuban sandwich with fries. If I see a Cuban anywhere on a menu, I have to try it. I love the whole combo of flavors and textures. I still dream about the best one I ever had...in Miami, FL where I think the only citizens are actually Cuban ones.

Anyway, I digress. This was a really good sandwich. The bread was done up right, the olives were tasty but not overwhelming. Good stuff, Maynard. I'd definitely order it again.

But, the highlight was the fries. I'm very picky about my fries. Soggy, thick or undercooked make me want to wretch. Blech. I don't like them thick or have a strong potato texture in the middle. And none of the lightly fried, white color. They better be somewhere between golden and bordering on brown.

Basically, I like thin sticks of crispy fat held together by a small amount of potato. I will dig out all of the crispy bits in an order of fries and leave the rest on my plate (usually the majority) untouched. Well, I do poke them to see if they're crispy but I don't eat them.

I got exactly what I like at Havana Cafe. Small crispy bits, not big undercooked pieces. It was heavenly. I still didn't eat all of the ones on my plate but it was only due to a huge measure of self control that came out of nowhere.

I haven't had a bad meal at Havana Cafe in the past 5 years (gosh, probably longer than that) so I highly recommend you drop in for a bite.

The Sangria's pretty good, too. Didn't have any at lunch, though.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

May 2020

March 2020