Concert Review - Rolling Stones with Alice Cooper

Doona belongs to an Event Planners Association and they got free tickets to the Rolling Stones show last night at the new Cardinals Stadium. Oops, I mean the University of Phoenix Stadium. Alice Cooper was opening for them and I thought, "Why not? I can always catch up on my sleep sometime...like, maybe in December."

I saw the Stones once before at Sun Devil Stadium. I think it was 1981 or 1982. (God, I'm old.) I thought it would be interesting to see how they've aged, I love Alice and I haven't been to the stadium yet so it seemed like a swell plan to me. Plus, it was free!

The tickets were $60 face value and we were high in the sky. Top level, stage left. I doubt I would have paid $60. I mean, we were way, way up there. But, we were there for the experience and, again, it was free, so I wasn't unhappy with our spot.

The set was huge with lots of impressive lights and screens and part of it was set to roll across the stage floor and move the band to the other end of the stadium. Pretty neat. They had the roof open so you could see the moon which was cool.

All in all, everything was looking good.

All in all, everything sounded horrible.

Alice came out and really seemed to rock. Unfortunately, the sound was so muffled that it took halfway through the first verse of each song before I could figure out what song he was actually doing. He did a pretty high energy set which included a dancing girl dressed as a vampire complete with fangs and dripping blood. How Alice was that?

They moved some speakers around for The Stones so we were hoping it would make the sound better. No such luck. I could not for the life of me understand Jagger when he spoke. While it did sound a little better than Alice while they were playing, it was still painfully bad.

We decided to mosey around the stadium to see if it sounded better elsewhere. We went down a level to the middle section and headed towards center stage. I'd say it was a tad clearer there but still not good.

By that time, it was after 11 so we decided to bail and head back to the East Valley and home.

Since the tix were free, I'm not too upset at it all. I did get to spend the evening with Doona and see the stadium so that's good. It's just a bummer that we didn't enjoy the show more.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

May 2020

March 2020