Euchre Time!

If you're from the Midwest, chances are you at least know what Euchre is and you've been playing it since you were a wee child barely able to shuffle cards. OK, maybe that last part is just me and my family.

We've developed a nice sized group of people here in the Valley who either hail from the Midwest or learned to play the game from someone from that area. Enough so that we've had some Euchre tournaments which are always a blast. More so when I win and The Goat doesn't.

New Dude professed to know how to play but it was obvious from our first evening playing with The Goat and The Queen that his skills were a little, er, rusty. I confess to being worried when he asked me to explain the rules on the ride over to their house. However, I give him props for deciding that he needed more practice to improve and has been seeking out opportunities to do so.

He somehow found the East Valley Euchre Meetup Group and asked me if I wanted to play with them. I said, "Sounds like fun". I loves me the cards! So, he signed us up for last night.

We met up with them at Iguana Mack's in Chandler. They have a nice game room there off the bar and had Happy Hour specials until 7 so it was a cheap evening.

Here's how it works:
  • Everyone puts in $1.
  • Players partner up randomly at a table and play 8 hands then record their scores as a game score. You can exceed 10 points that way.
  • The Stick The Dealer rule applies.
  • The winning partners stay at the table but split up then play another 8 hands with new people. The losers go to another table to face the winners from there.
  • People may join late or leave early so the minimum numbers of games played by someone determines the amount of games used for the final scoring. In our case, someone only played 4 games so we took the highest 4 scores out of the 8 we played.
  • Highest points gets $5, lowest points gets their $1 entry fee back. The rest of the money is used to buy cards, name tags, etc.
I scored 37 but came in third overall as there were two people who had 41. They had to split the $5. New Dude did OK and was happy to not have the low score.

It was a nice evening and they were nice people. I enjoyed exchanging stories about learning to play and where people were from. I also enjoyed observing the dynamics of the group. There are some stories there...

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020