Tried To Be A Good World Citizen - FML

I wanted to pack drinking water for our trip to Pinetop/Lakeside a few weeks ago since I'm not drinking pop anymore. Trying to minimize my carbon footprint, I bought a 2 ½ gallon jug (the kind you put in your fridge). I didn't know if there were going to be recycling opportunities so I didn't want to have to throw away a dozen bottles.

The plan was for me to leave directly from work to Leslie's house so I packed the trunk in the morning. Suitcase, water, cardboard box with Ginger Beer and Vodka in it and my camp chair. I bailed out of work a little late but made it to Leslie's at a reasonable time.

Since she was driving, I needed to unload my stuff in to her car. The first thing I pulled out was my suitcase and I noticed something odd. It took me a moment to realize that it was wet. Quite wet.

See, what happened was that the spigot on the water got twisted open and ¾ of 2 ½ gallons of water had spilled all over my trunk. The cardboard box was a soggy mess that would have fallen apart if I'd lifted it up so it's good that I noticed before I got to that.

I abandoned the water bottle altogether and repacked the Ginger Beer and Vodka into a reusable bag that managed to escape the flood. I thought that was the worst of the damage.

I was wrong.

When we got to the cabin, I opened my suitcase to get my denim shirt off to wear that night. It was pretty darn damp. Other clothes were damp as well. My two library books that I packed were beyond damp. They were soaked through.

Dammit. I had no water, two wet books and damp clothes. What a delightful way to start my weekend.

Brenden had the idea to hang my shirt by the campfire so it would dry. It did but then smelled smokey. I just pretended the smell came from a fireman so it was OK. I draped the other clothes around the cabin to dry and prayed that the books would recover. They did a few days after I got home and left a heavy weight on them. You couldn't even tell they had gotten wet.

Heading to Utah this weekend with a case of bottled water in the car. Environment be damned, I'm not getting soaked again.

Popular posts from this blog

This Is How Fat Thinks

TV At Its Finest

Washy Washy