Complete Chaos

Saturday night was my evening to fleece the sheep.

It was even more painful than I imagined it would be. Picture nine women trying to play Texas Hold 'Em while holding constant, multiple conversations. Oh, the decibel level was really high! Now imagine that two of the women actually were there to seriously play the game. Yeah, I was one of the two and, Renee, the other has decided she probably can't take it anymore. Oh, and also picture the other seven using cheat sheets...on almost every hand.

I tried to tell myself it was just $5 and that it was not about the cards, it was about hanging with some friends. Unfortunately, I am usually all about the cards.

Man, they were something. Not serious card players, but something. The chatting just never stopped but fortunately there was wine to mellow me out. They had decided that everyone was supposed to come with a "persona". The hostess was in her jammies, Jen came as a sort of Jackie O., Andrea came as a librarian (which is not even a stretch) and Ellen had a shawl and sunglasses that made her look like a Moslem woman but we never established for sure what she was supposed to be.

Can't they just play cards and not add in dress up? Girls!

They decided my persona was the 'crab' but I told them I preferred 'bitch'. This was after I mandated a "No talking to Simone while the action's on her" rule. If I hadn't, we might still be there playing. Trying to calculate pot odds while hammered on wine in a home game does not contribute to speedy play and that's apparently what she kept trying to do. Fortunately, we did accelerated blinds with 15 minute rounds. At our rate of speed (or lack thereof), 15 minutes barely covered three hands.

Renee just gave up and went all in against Claudette on a reckless bet. She just really couldn't handle it. I was fortunate in winning some big hands early (gosh, they couldn't have been more obvious bluffers) so I made it to the final two. Since, Claudette had Renee's chips she was the big stack. I went all in on a pair of 10s but Claudette had me beat. She got $40 and I got my $5 back.

I'll probably play again, masochist that I am, but I'll have to give myself a stern talking to ahead of time about it's not always about competing.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

May 2020

March 2020