Advice To Self

I've committed to participating in #Trust30, an online initiative and 30-day writing challenge that encourages you to look within and trust yourself. Each day you get a new message/task and can write about it in a journal, in a blog, on Twitter, even Facebook as long as you write something.

Five Years by Corbett Barr

There will be an agreement in whatever variety of actions, so they be each honest and natural in their hour.Ralph Waldo Emerson

What would you say to the person you were five years ago? What will you say to the person you’ll be in five years?

(Author: Corbett Barr)


Advice I wish I'd given and followed five years ago: trust your gut, proceed with abandon and let go of failures.

If something, or someone, seems too good to be true, it's not. Too often, I've let myself get persuaded that people and situations are better than they really are and sometimes worse than they really are. Looking back, my gut instinct was trying to tell me the truth but I ignored it.

Once I've done my gut check, however, I should go full bore into something. I'm very cautious by nature so I always hesitate, thinking what if it didn't work out or other what ifs that keep me from taking action.

Sometimes, even having the right instinct and putting all efforts in to something, it still doesn't work out. In that case, I wish I could just say "oh, well, lesson learned" and move on. But, I don't. I end up reliving moments and events and berating myself for choices and actions I didn't make. It's just not productive and it stops me from moving on.

What will I say to the person I'll be five years from now?

Why the hell didn't you follow your own advice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

May 2020

March 2020