Time vs Money

I know it's simply supply and demand but, dang, why can't I find cheap airfares at convenient times?

My last trip (to Milwaukee) was not too bad on the way out. I left at 9:35 AM and got there at 2:50 PM. Just enough time to have a beer (OK, two) before my peeps got there to pick me up.

The way home, though, ugh. I left at 5:01 PM which was later than I wanted to. My friends had to drive back to Des Moines and I didn't want to hold them up so we had lunch then they dropped me off at 1. Time for another two beers and half of a book.

I was OK with the late departure because I thought, with the time change, I'd still get home before 7.

Au contraire, mon frere. I'd somehow blocked out the part where I had to go to Denver and change planes. I was completely surprised when I checked in and saw the second flight on my itinerary. Dammit.

I'm sure when I booked it, I deemed it too much money to come home earlier or on a direct flight. But, now I wonder how much more was it? And how much was it worth? Two airport beers and snacks add up. Would it have actually been cheaper overall to take the earlier flight?

Because, seriously, I'm going to hang out in the bar while I'm waiting and those beers cost a gazillion dollars. Factor in that I didn't get home until after 11 PM on a school night and I think I should have paid an extra $50. Or maybe even more.

When I was younger, and poorer (read that as less available credit on my card), money was THE factor. Now, I think that convenience and being home in my own bed at a reasonable hour are more important.

Whatever the number is that I should/would pay, I need to figure it out before I book my next flight.

Comments

Janissa said…
Bob thinks the threshold is, "For how much money would you be willing to drive to Fresno?" Keeps increasing.
Cheesehead said…
That's a good way to look at it.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

May 2020

March 2020