Tourney Time

I just filled out my bracket for the club's Yahoo NCAA Tournament. It's pretty clear to me that I don't know much about the current state of college hoops.

I used to, though.

With my compulsive behavioral tendencies, I tend to become consumed with whatever sport I'm currently following. I've gone through lots of them: pro hockey, college hoops, pro hoops, professional (beach) and college (team) volleyball, pro baseball (major and minor league), pro and college football, professional tennis, soccer (Ireland in the World Cup). Currently, it's lacrosse, NASCAR and poker taking up most of my time.

Back in my college hoops phase, I watched lots of games. Lots and lots. I knew most of the major teams and players. I even watched the NBA draft (boring!). To tell you how long ago it was, I was watching when the Suns drafted Dan Majerle and I knew the folks who booed him would regret that since I'd seen him play lots of time.

I looked it up tonight and that was 1988.

Since then, the players I knew so well have retired from their NBA careers.

Man, I'm old.

However, even though my hoops phase was almost 20 years ago, I still feel a bias towards (and against) certain teams and coaches. Never mind that the kids currently playing are probably the kids of the players I used to watch.

Again, I'm old.

My bracket choices every year show that bias of yore.

Here's whom I favor:
Wisconsin teams - it is the homeland, after all
Kansas
Duke
Georgetown
Gonzaga
NC State
Notre Dame - can't grow up Irish Catholic and root against them or you'd get excommunicated
Arizona State - I wish....someday, they'll be back in the show

Here's whom I pick against:
Arizona (a BS and MBA from Arizona State and growing up less than ten miles from ASU will do that to a person)
Bob Knight's current team, whomever that might be
Illinois (old boyfriend's school and I had to hear about how great they were...all the time)
Michigan schools

None of those preferences will likely help me with my picks. I'll consider it a good tourney if I'm still in it at the Elite Eight.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

May 2020

March 2020