What Was I Thinking?

Every few days, I go back through my Facebook timeline to see if there are any comments or reactions that I've missed and need to respond to in order to not be rude. I care that way.

My eyes bulged (figuratively but they probably widened a lot) as I saw this post about Goodreads:

Set my goal for 100 books in 2018 with at least 50% non-fiction. I mean, how many vampire books are there left that I haven't already read.

What.

The.

Hell.

Was.

I.

Smoking?

I checked the timestamp to see if this was a late night after drinking post and, nope, stone cold sober at the time.

Here's why I'm finding it incredulous that I wrote this lofty goal of 50%. I read over 100 books a year and, in 2016, I decided to evaluate how many were non-fiction. My initial guess was 20 but then my inner self said that was giving me way too much credit so I revised my guess to 15. When I actually counted them it was 10. Out of 122.

Pitiful.

So, in 2017, I set a goal of 20% non-fiction tomes. I made that goal with 25 out of 117 which comes out to 21% and is still hardly worth crowing about.

It was a challenge to get to 20%, y'all! Not only did I have to dredge deep into my to-read list to find non-fiction, I struggled to convince myself to read them instead of a "fun" book. Reading to learn something takes a lot more time and effort than just skimming through a tale about faeries or international assassins.

Basically, I'm a prolifically lazy reader.

I've decided to shoot for it regardless of how crazy I think it is now.

After all, it was published on the internet so it must be true!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Is How Fat Thinks

TV At Its Finest

Frank Abagnale - The Art of the Steal