New Habits - Maybe

I've seen Tools of Titans on several Must Read book lists this year and was intrigued enough to put it on my hold list for the library. Before I could get it, one of my colleagues read it and recommended it highly so I was even more eager to peruse it.


Broken into three sections (Healthy, Wealthy and Wise), this book is jam packed with anecdotes, strategies and suggestions made by various "titans" of industry, healthcare, sports, entertainment, science and other fields. 

I chose to take my time reading this instead of my usual speed reading rate and took a break about half way through to absorb what I'd learned. I also implemented some takeaways from Ferris' personal daily rituals with my own interpretation.

In the morning:
  1. List three things you're grateful for. Big or small, write them down and ponder for a few moments on why you're grateful. This was just like the "3 Gratitudes" exercise I did on the blog a few years ago. It's a wonderful way to realize how fortunate you actually are.
  2. List three things that would make your day "great". I think this one is probably to influence your mindset to make those things happen.
  3. Give yourself daily affirmations. List three positive things about yourself. Could be your skills, personality, position, the view of others, etc. It's just a reminder that you are a valued human.
  4. Make your bed. I haven't been a bed maker for years, actually probably never. The idea behind this is that you start your day accomplishing one, albeit small, thing. And, no matter how crappy your day may go you end it with seeing an accomplishment.
In the evening:
  1. List three amazing things that happened that day. Again, could be huge, could be small but they were memorable and great in your view. Ferris suggests reviewing these results once a month. I expect you will feel a lot better about life after doing that.
  2. List three things you could have done to make the day better. Another one that could be a huge answer or just a tiny thing.
  3. Think of three people in your life and spend a few moments actively thinking "I want person A to be happy". He calls it a loving-kindness drill and it's been proven that actively wishing for others to be happy actually makes you happier.
I think I bit off more than I could chew as my logging activities only lasted five days despite putting the book and a brand new journal on my nightstand as physical reminders.

But, I have consistently done one thing every day since early July. Yep, made my bed. Some days, it's a little neater than others but, by gosh, I do feel better seeing it done in the morning and climbing into it at night.




Maybe I should have listened to my Dad about that whole making bed thing years ago.

And, maybe I'll pull out the old log book tonight and start over.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020