It's The Little Things

I've slowly replaced all of my plastic hangers with flocked, cascading ones. Frankly, I was out of space in my closet so I needed to start going low to get more in there. I'm donating the plastic hangers to a charity.

Except for one.


This is a hanger I have from when my Grandma was in the nursing home and we had to ID all of her possessions. I'd actually forgotten about it and I don't remember how I got it (maybe one of my Aunts) but I will never give it away.

It's funny or wonderful or heartbreaking (insert your own emotion here) how things can bring back feelings and memories.  Whether it's a picture or a knickknack or a mixing bowl or the front steps of a house or a piece of jewelry (insert your own item here), objects carry power.

My Grandma Hazel was truly great and we talk about her often even though she's been gone for many years. One of the things we do when my Dad and his siblings disagree about something from their past (did they have chickens - I'm still not sure), is say "Call Hazel". Because, they used to do that even when she was in the nursing home no matter what time it was in Wisconsin. She was the tiebreaker but sometimes she would just say "I don't remember" and the argument would carry on after the call. I believe she remembered it all, she just didn't want to take sides. And, maybe, she got a kick out of letting them go on.

Pretty much every time I see a Cribbage board, I bring up how Grandma seemed to get a damned double run on every hand. She didn't give us kids a break. I don't give kids a break either.

If I see a Tab or Windmill cookies or  Sugar Smacks (that's the one with the frog, right?), I'm instantly transported back to my Grandparents' home where there were cases upon cases of pop in bottles, a drawer full of cookies and a shelf full of loaded with sugar cereals. So many meals and snacks and food our parents didn't buy us but Grandma Hazel and Granda Albert sure did. #spoiled

Broom and mop? Instantly back to the end of supper when Grandma would make us kids sweep up and mop the floor. Ever night with no exception. I'm surprised her linoleum still had a pattern on it.

The overall emotions that come from any of these memories are love and gratitude. There was so much love in our family and, as a young child, you don't always recognize that everyone else doesn't have that same caring and warmth in their lives. So, I'm grateful for that love and the memories and those moments that may bring tears of loss but reminders of love.

Gratuitous Samwise Gamgee picture who didn't care that I WAS RIGHT THERE and still got up in the closet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020