Netflix Original Movie Reviews - Part Two

Here's what I've watched since I posted my first set of reviews. These are all Netflix Original Movies.

The Kissing Booth

Best friends from birth, literally, have several rules one of which is that they can't date each other's family members. After a fund raising Kissing Booth, Elle hooks up with Lee's older brother Noah and tries to keep it secret. There was little I liked about this scenario. Noah had a hair trigger anger issue, got into a lot of physical fights, Elle's Dad 100% didn't approve and lots of lying. Did I mention the anger issue? I fear young women will watch this and think "See, I can fix my boyfriend" when they should run away as fast they can from a controlling anger monster. I did like that they showed safe sex being utilized.


Coin Heist

Kids at fancy prep school develop a plan to create misprinted coins to sell as collectibles after one of the kid's Dad (head of the school) embezzles all of the endowment money. When I see the word "Heist" in the title, I expect a lot of action which I didn't feel like I got. The lead kid was supposed to be the big planner but it was clear he didn't know how they were going to pull it off. Also, the only adult with a clue turned about to be dishonorable. Really can't recommend watching this as there's so much better content out there.



Candy Jar

Two intensely competitive debate team members try to outshine each other for college admission purposes. While it could have been played as pure comedy (there are many funny bits), I liked the emotional development of the characters. Jacob Latimore as one of the lead kids has a great screen presence in this. Cute, sweet movie with some life lessons in it. Thumbs up.


The Fundamentals of Caring

I don't know that I could dislike anything Paul Rudd is in. He's just so funny and sweet and I want to hug him and have a beer with him all at the same time. This one is formulaic - grieving man works with bitter kid wth severe medical issues so they decide to road trip. Funny for a lot of it, moving in some parts. Not the greatest flick but worth it if you're into Rudd only 10% as much as I am.


Handsome

Garlin plays Gene Handsome, an LA Homicide Detective. Surrounded by a bunch of quirky characters (seriously not sure what value Amy Sedaris added to the film), Handsome tries to solve a gruesome murder with a bit of Columbo "Let me ask you" style. I thought it was slow moving at first but then I really got into it just because of Garlin's character and style. Handsome was just so darn likable.



Sierra Burgess is a Loser

Yes, she is. Not because she's a nerd who doesn't hang out with the cool kids but because she catfishes a super sweet guy beyond the point of reason. Saving graces of this movie were RJ Cyler as her hilarious best friend, Peter Kavinsky, I mean Noah Centineo, and the evolution of Kristine Forseth's mean girl character. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020