Too Much TV...Or Not Enough?

I was already a prolific consumer of content from my TV before getting locked down in my house thanks to COVID-19. It's even worse now. Or, better. Depends on your point of view.

Besides my usual shows, here's what I've been watching.


Schitt's Creek

I'm late to the party that is Schitt's Creek. I started watching right before the last season began and it was all I could do to force myself to go to bed each night instead of watching "just" one more. The rich people go broke theme has been done nearly to death. This was done exceptionally well. The characters not only redeemed themselves from their selfish, out of touch with reality ways but they learned they were capable humans and worthy of being loved by others. Superb casting and fun to see many Canadian actors that I'm used to seeing on SyFy shows. I've been pushing this on everyone I can. It's that good! Watch it and thank me later.

Tournament of Champions

I love cooking competition shows and this was by far the fairest format. The judges didn't know who the contestants were so they judged strictly on the food. It really gave some lesser known chefs a chance to shine. The chefs really had to be creative thanks to the random wheel selections of things like protein, equipment and time. I bugged my son to watch it and he found it as compelling as I did.

The Mandalorian

I'd already watched The Mandalorian as it was coming out in its weekly installments. I watched it all again over two days. Worth the re-watch. Jon Favreau knows how to mix pathos and humor. And, well, #babyyoda was just as adorable the second time around. Looking forward to next season.

#blackAF

I'm a dedicated Black-ish fan and have seen very episode. I bailed out on Grown-ish and haven't watched Mixed-ish but I'd heard this show was funny AF so I gave it a shot. Oh my! Avoid if you're offended by foul language. I thought it was hilarious. Based on a fictionalized version of Kenya Barris' own life as the creator of the -ish shows, it showed the general disconnect that rich people have, the additional challenge of being black and successful and was also a family tale. Not a family I'd necessarily want to be in but it sure was fun watching it. As always, Burris includes a lot of black history to give context to modern day issues.

Picard (I feel like the Star Trek is superfluous)

CBS sucked me in with their free month offer (which I didn't cancel before month two, of course). What I didn't count on was that I couldn't access this from my allegedly smart TV so I tried to use it on Playstation and that app is crap. It freezes up almost every time. I ended up watching it on my laptop. All the feelz in this. None of the cameos from the series felt gratuitous and the evolution of the story was engaging if sometimes predictable. Picard is "my" Captain but Santiago Cabrera as Rios gives him some competition for my affections. Man, that guy is hot.

To All The Boys...

I've made no secret of how much I adored To All The Boys I've Loved Before and also my age inappropriate crush on Noah Centineo. I was saving this up to watch when I really needed a feel good. Quarantine seemed like a good time for it. What I liked was that Lara Jean and Peter have realistic relationship challenges. In addition, there are some old friendships explained and explored. Holland Taylor was a delight and I'm always happy to see John Corbett. 

Ragnarok and more!

I've lost count on many re-watches of the Marvel movies I've done. None of the Iron-Man or Hulk but the rest at least once if not multiple times. Thor Ragnarok is the most frequently played, though. It just makes me laugh and boosts my mood. I've needed that boost more than once.

Extraction

Speaking of Chris Hemsworth, I had to check Extraction out because I heard about the fantastic 12 minute single take. That was stupendous. However, this was so excessively and repeatedly violent that I felt like I was watching a shooter video game. A quick google said there were 183 deaths in the flick so that tracks. I wasn't alone in watching Extraction. It recently became the most watched Netflix film with an alleged 90 million viewers.

A Bad Moms Christmas

The Bad Moms movies aren't the greatest but they are funny as all get out. This made me LOL many times. Kathryn Hahn steals every scene she's in and Cheryl Hines was right behind her in that category. It was a fun, escapist flick with obligatory family growth (it is a Christmas movie after all).

Star Wars Rebels

Yeah, I know I should have watched Clone Wars first because of the timeline but there were fewer episodes to commit to in Rebels. This is perfect for lunch time viewing as most of the episodes clock in around 22 minutes. It's a little childish but I'm almost done after starting it a week or so ago.

I've got so much more queued up. Star Trek:  Discovery, Bosch, SuperStore and whatever else catches my fancy.

And, of course, there will be more Marvel viewings. In fact, I see a Captain America watch in my upcoming weekend.

It might seem like I'm rotting my brain but this is keeping me sane. Sane being a relative term. Maybe I need to watch even more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020