Absence Apparently DOES Make The Heart Grow Fonder

I left George in Steven's care while I was off to Key West for the week. They have this strange "sibling" rivalry thing so it's not the best situation for either of them, frankly, and they're both pretty vocal about it.

What happens is that George hides from Steven most of the time. When she does come out, he picks on her because he's mad she won't be friendly. She then goes back into hiding. Lather, rinse, repeat.

New Dude picked me up at the airport late on Monday night. When we got to my place, George went a little nuts. She randomly jumped around, meowed loudly and wouldn't settle at all. She was clearly upset.

Our usual routine when I get home is I kick my shoes off in my bedroom then sit on my bed. She jumps up and we have some Mommy/Kitty time where she tells me about what happened while I was gone and I scratch her ears and chin and pet her. So, I went down to my room and sat on the bed thinking she would join me and I could calm her down.

One problem. New Dude came with me and sat on the edge of the bed next to me. George wanted none of that.

New Dude left a few minutes later. I locked the door behind him and started down the hall. Before I could even get to my room, George was on the bed waiting for me. I gave her lots of attention and she seemed much calmer so I put on my jammies and hit the sack.

Still a little wired from traveling, I decided to finish my book while sitting up in bed. Soon after I cracked it open, a paw reached over the top of the book then a body pushed down on it so it lay flat on my chest and had a cat on top of it. Apparently, we weren't done with Mommy/Kitty time. I finally satisfied her need for ear scratches and finished my book before turning out the light.

Usually, when I turn out the light, George loses all interest in me and heads off somewhere in the house. I think she spends her night hours alternating between looking out the patio door and sleeping in her condo. That night, she crawled under the covers and pressed herself up against me. I fell asleep only to wake up with her now lying on top of me. A while later, she curled up between my knees. I don't think she left me alone the whole night.

I chalked up the sudden desire to be in contact with me as a temporary thing because she had been lonely. What's odd is that it hasn't stopped since then. Over a week later, she still won't leave me alone. Whatever room I'm in, she has to be in. If I call her name at all, she comes running right away and she's still pretty much spending the whole night somewhere on the bed with me.

Even odder, she's being friendly to strangers. I had book club last night. The last time I hosted, she hid under the bed and wouldn't come out even when Anna tried to bribe her with treats. When she finally came out after they left, she threw up. I think it was from the stress. This time, she spent most of the time in the dining room with us. She hung out at the front door and also posed in her condo for some pictures. She even willingly went up to both Anna and Andrea for a few pats.

I'm not sure if this is going to last but it's nice having loving, friendly kitty instead of demon kitty.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020