Book Review - The Omnivore's Dilemma

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Michael Pollan has changed my life.

That's not an exaggeration. Between this book and The Defense of Food, I'll never look at what I put in my body in the same way again.

Pollan traces four meals through the various food chains: industrial, organic and foraged. He covers so much ground, and so much detail, in this book that it took me a long time to read and would take me pages to review in the way that I want to. It was completely fascinating and appalling at the same time. Man, we eat crappy and the system is rigged to keep us eating crappy.

Here are some of the things I took out that are becoming guidelines (a work in progress):

High fructose corn syrup is the devil. And damn hard to avoid.

Grass fed beef is the only beef worth eating.

Organic is the way to go but it also needs to be locally organic.

Cooking at home, and from scratch, seems to be the only way to fully control what you're eating and is worth the time and effort.

Spending more on good food is also worth it.


Read this book and I guarantee it will change you, too.

View all my reviews >>

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020