Nature vs. Nurture

I’m a firm believer on the side that thinks that nurture is stronger than nature. I only need to look as far as my son - sarcastic, smart mouthed, loud, know it all, frakking genius in his own mind...hmmm, sounds familiar.

I don’t think the theory travels to other species, though. If it did, George would be one of the most gregarious and social cats on the planet instead of the scaredy cat, anti-social creature that she is. I mean, come on, who’s more friendly and outgoing than her Mommy and her Grandpa Shorty?

Poor Shorty. He got to come over to my house for dinner on Father’s Day but he didn’t get to play with his Grand-kitty at all. He soooooo wants to interact with her.

As soon as my parents came in the front door, she was off to hide under the furthest part of the bed. I left her alone for a while then tried to entice her out with kitty treats. No success on that at all.

The only glimpse Shorty and my Mom got of her was when she came to the end of the hallway. That was only because Steven left and slammed the door so I tried to fake her out. I called to her, “It’s safe, they’re gone” and told my parents to be quiet. She fell for it but pulled back as soon as she caught sight of them.

As soon as they left, she was out with her feather on a stick and demanding that I play with her.

She’s been skittish from the first time I met her when TRS and I went to pick her up. Her sister willingly came over to play with us while George crept ever so slowly nearer. Any sudden movement sent her further away. It probably didn’t help that we ultimately grabbed her and put her in a carrier and took her away from her family. Poor baby.

She doesn’t hide from everyone, though. Of course, she’s glued to me most of the time except when she’s napping in her condo but she generally hangs out in TRS’ vicinity when he’s over. Especially, when he’s fixing stuff. She keeps a close eye on him the whole time. She even comes out when Steven is over if I’m there, too. Despite the fact that he’s loud and throws shoes at her when she won’t play with him.

I think she senses that Shorty really wants to play with her and she’s decided to be a demon kitty about it. What a contrary creature, doing the opposite of what people want just to be a brat.

Hmmm, maybe there is something to that nature idea after all.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020