A Family Affair

I got an email out of the blue from my Mom's cousin, Tom, a few weeks ago. He and his wife, Agnes, were driving through on a road trip vacation from Wisconsin to California and wanted my parents' contact info. He happened to have kept my email address from when I collected RSVPs for my parents' 50th Anniversary a few years back so I was his first, and last, stop on the social network.

I didn't tell my parents so they were super surprised to hear from Tom. Shorty was all like, "Guess who's here?" and I was like, "Yes, I know." It's kind of our thing.

Coincidentally, when Tom and Agnes were scheduled to be in Phoenix, my Mom's sister Betty was here on a visit, also from the Homeland. So, we had quite the crowd gathered at my parents' house. In addition to us and Aunt Betty, my Uncle Jack and his wife Rose Mary and my Uncle Jim (both are my Mom's brothers who live here) were in attendance. And, Agnes' sister and brother-in-law who were on the road trip.

It was a great evening. My Mom's Mom was Tom's Dad's sister. (Don't worry, there isn't a Family Tree quiz coming up.) There were lots of stories from back in the day about that generation. We have no one left of that group so any new information is precious to me, especially since we moved away when I was pretty young so I don't have a lot of my own memories of them.

There were also quite a few stories of shenanigans from my Mom's generation. Lots of tales of adventures on the farm. Actually, more than one farm because, well, Wisconsin. (Stereotypes are sometimes accurate.)

Back row:  Kathy, Agnes, Tom, Betty, Steven the Giant, Mary, Jim, Shorty (Charlie)
Front row:  Rose Mary, Jack
Off to the left side:  Orbs. Apparently, my parent's house is haunted.
All in all, a wonderful family treat.

By the way, supporting my belief that everyone in Wisconsin is less than Six Degrees removed from a Pfister, Agnes' sister went to school with my Uncle Bill (Shorty's younger brother).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020