The Dark Side Approaches...


Steve Jobs is Palpatine and I am Anakin. (Gods, I hope I'm not as whiny as Anakin.) He keeps luring me in with his enticing toys.

My iPod is about 4 years old and the battery's not what it used to be. I'm lucky to get 6 hours out of it which doesn't even carry me through one work day. I was toying with the idea of replacing it but hadn't gotten around to it.

On Thursday, Sugar Daddy said he needed to go to Best Buy to get a Mac mouse at lunch so I thought I'd take a gander at the iPods. My iPod was 30G and I thought I had 18G on it which is pretty much all of my music. The new classics have 160G which I doubt I'd ever fill since I don't watch movies on it.

The nanos are so cute that I could hardly stop myself. However, the biggest one only has 16G and I have too much for that. SD suggested that I didn't need to have all of my music on there at one time. That doesn't sound like me - I want instant access at all times.

SD steered me to the iTouch. There's an 8G, 32G and 64G, a bigger screen and it can run apps. Oh, and it's got wifi. That was appealing to me because the google calendar interface on my Crackberry is just text and not very user friendly.

Since Sugar Daddy is always willing to help me spend the most amount of money I can, he suggested that I consult with The Rocket Scientist as a reality check.

I sent a text message to The Rocket Scientist: My ipod battery is no bueno. New ipod with 160G for 249 or touch with 64G for 399?

His response: Go with 160 GB classic. It's cheaper and you don't need the extras anyway.

I said: but it's not as cute

Which is true. The classics now look junky compared to my old one.

His response: Think how much you'll save.

That was a good comeback because he knows I like to say I saved when I'm actually spending.

He recognized that it was a losing battle and wanted to know why I even bothered him with asking so I told him SD wanted to see if they would agree. He was quite relieved to know that they didn't agree. Actually, they were both relieved.

To give SD some credit, he told me I didn't need the 64G.

So, I went home with the 32G touch for $299 which means I now have a shuffle, a classic (which will be just fine in my docking station at home) a touch and a mac notebook.

The last step to the dark side is the iPad. We did look at them for a bit but I can't see any reason to get one. It would be nice for lounging on the couch and surfing the web but my laptop will do the job just fine.

So, I guess I'm still not completely under Job's spell, thank the gods.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020