Great Job, Huskies!

Great column today by The Arizona Republic’s, Paola Boivin about UConn Women’s Basketball Coach, Geno Auriemma’s comments on the Huskies beating the longstanding UCLA Men’s team winning streak. I couldn’t agree with Boivin and Auriemma more.

I’ve thought for years (because it’s been years) that what UConn has done is amazing. They keep reeling off wins and Championships and yet no one seems to talk about them much. Just like no one talks much about the WNBA, even when our very own Mercury were the champs.

A friend of mine says he doesn’t like watching women’s basketball because they’re not as smooth as, and make more mistakes than, the male players. (I paraphrase because our conversation was a while ago and I don’t recall his exact words but I think I got the sentiment.)

To me, it’s not about skill levels so I won’t even debate that point. I actually prefer watching the women (professional and collegiate) play and also prefer men’s college ball over the pro games. The women and the college men display more heart and effort than the male pro players. (OK, there are a few exceptions to the rule like Steve Nash.)

Back to UConn, to consistently perform at that level for the length of time is incredible. At the risk of getting verbally beat up for my opinion, if a men’s college team were in the middle of the same streak, it would be all over the news for weeks leading up to the streak breaking game.

Last year, I voted on ESPN’s ESPY Awards and UConn was up for Best Team. They had two consecutive undefeated seasons, two consecutive NCAA Championships and won their seventh Championship overall (second only to Tennessee with eight). They got my vote. The winner in the category was the New Orlean Saints. I’d like to think it was due to the hugely positive affect the Saints had on the hurricane damaged psyches of Louisiana residents and NOLA fans.

Let’s see how the voting goes this year. I can’t imagine anyone getting my vote but the Huskies again in 2011.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020