Growl

Thursday night was the keg tapping for the new winter brew at Rock Bottom. I went with a buddy of mine for the festivities. The place was packed with regulars and they had a nice little buffet set up for us.

The new brew is a Belgian Ale and tastes, well, wintery. My buddy thought he detected orange or pear. The brewer said he's been getting feedback from folks on all different kinds of flavors. I tasted it and said, "Cinnamon. No, not quite. Pumpkin pie spice...nutmeg! That's it!" One of the women in the buffet line backed me up and said she got the same taste out of it.

It's got a 7.5% alcohol content and is pretty rich so I wouldn't make it my beer of choice for a whole evening. It's worth checking out, though.

Without going into the fine details, I ended up at the end of the night (11:30 or so) with my friend's growler on the floor in front of my passenger seat. For those who don't know what a growler is, it's a reusable container (usually glass and with a 1/2 gallon capacity) that you use to buy microbrews and take them home with you.

The Rock Bottom growler is a thing of beauty...big, with a longish neck and a strong metal handle on it. My bud had it filled with the new brew (only $2 on keg tapping night!). As I was leaving the bar, I noticed it on the floor but thought it was pretty secure there since it had a wide bottom.

Boy, was I wrong.

One little turn while still in the parking lot caused it to fall over. The neck must have just hit my door in the exact spot to smash it because that's what happened. I had glass pieces and 1/2 gallon of beer all over the place. I pulled over and dumped the remaining beer out but there wasn't much left.

When I got home, I picked up as much of the glass I could see and left the sunroof cracked in the faint hope that it would help air the car out.

When did it occur to me that taking the floor mat out might make it smell less beery? Friday morning, after I got to work.

Sigh.

I did take the mat out last night after work, rinsed it off and am drying it out. Unfortunately, it had soaked through so I still have quite the winter ale aroma going on.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020