Book Review - Not Everyone Gets A Trophy

Not Everyone Gets A Trophy: How to Manage Generation Y Not Everyone Gets A Trophy: How to Manage Generation Y by Bruce Tulgan


My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Some very interesting points/advice on the Gen Y. As a borderline Baby Boomer, I find it challenging to relate to the Gen Y folks. This book gave some specific tips (among them):

Tell them the rules.
Give them a scorecard.
Be flexible.
Realize it's a transactional based relationship - you pay them, they have to do specific tasks.
Don't ignore them when they're doing great.

The latter is tough for me because I'm one of those "If you don't hear from me, everything's fine" managers.

There are some amazing anecdotes in the book. Mind boggling, actually. From parents calling bosses to tell them that they're aren't giving their kids the right work to Gen Yers sending emails to the CEO with ideas in their first few months of work. Yikes.

The reality is that this generation is in the workforce in full and a good leader needs to learn how to adapt to their style. Any tips on that subject are welcome.

View all my reviews >>

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020