Parrot Grande - The Hurricane

What just happened here?

For most of Saturday afternoon, the staff at the Francisco Grande and I scanned the sky. It was dark and forbidding and threatening rain. We had a backup plan to move inside if it rained and Wood-Eye had even set up a thunderstorm plan that involved tarps over the stage. Bowing to the locals who thought the storm would go by, we went on with the original outside dinner and entertainment scenario.

Dinner was served without a problem and Stars on the Water started their set with their signature Born To Be Wild tune when it started sprinkling. We moved in with the tarp and covered the instruments and the stage. No sooner had we done that when a gale force win
whipped through the area.

I'm not kidding about the gale force, either. It knocked over tables with dishes on them, bent our tent poles and flung a rib into my arm. Originally, I thought I was bleeding but it turned out to be barbecue sauce.

Next up was some heavier rain and everyone started unplugging the equipment so no one would get electrocuted. At this point, I called it on the outside gig and we started to move everything into the room where we were having breakfast the next day. People grabbed instruments, speakers and cables and carted them inside.

By the time we were done, it was pouring buckets. The room that we moved to was an uncovered walk away from the original stage. I grabbed a tablecloth to hold over my head. It kept my hair dry but the wind was pushing the rain nearly sideways and completely soaked my back.

Moving the party inside - Jer was soaking wet, too.

Bob Karwin pulled out his guitar and played while Stars set up inside. Fortunately, they didn't need to adjust the sound at all and we were able to continue the party with only a remarkably short break.

Karwin working the crowd.

It was one of those events that made me appreciate the Parrot Head spirit. The party may have paused but we picked it up and rocked on without missing a beat.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020