Parrot Grande - Saturday Afternoon

There's nothing more refreshing than jumping in the pool after a round of golf in the Arizona sun. On my to change into my bathing suit, I ran into Mark Mulligan who was setting up to play by the pool. I gave him two, big, sweaty (and probably stinky) hugs. It felt so good to physically be near him. It's hard to communicate deep emotions over email which is what we've been doing.

He's doing remarkably well after what happened. The first two songs he did were in honor of Adela then he kicked it into party by the pool gear. He was joined by Jerry Gontang, Bob Karwin and John Milner at various points. Jerry once said to me that all musicians are stage whores and he is right. One little hint of an offer to join someone on stage and they are right there!



The Goat is in his new safety outfit.

The afternoon went by pretty quickly with a break in the music for the Pirate Ship Races. Sorry, no pics. Somehow, my camera wasn't near me for those. Some folks (the engineers) really get into building their boats. If I were to build one, I'd be more like the Jello Shot Prince was last year. He floated an empty Corona box with a bra for the sail.

While I was just minding my business floating around, Keith the Pirate came up behind me and I felt him touch the top of my ballcap. I didn't know what he was doing until Norene finally sputtered out "He put a tarantula on your head!" I screamed like a girl and flung it off (or someone knocked it off, I was too traumatized to remember fully.)

Seems he found it on the golf course (thanks ever so much, Captain Blood!) and thought it was a hilarious prank. Norene and I vehemently disagreed. I'm not usually driven to violence but I punched him on the arm. Of course, he was wet so my fist just slid right off of him.

Mark and John Mulligan relaxing in the pool.

Mark's brother, John The Doctor as we call him, came down for the afternoon and ended up staying over with his family. I hadn't seen Johnny in well over a year so it was great to catch up. I've spent many an hour with Mark and John closing down bars after one of Mark's gigs. Many, many hours and almost always on school nights. I blame John for being the bad influence.

We'll never see this again.


During one of Karwin's and Milner's duets, Jon Edwards jumped up to sing some background harmony. He actually sounded pretty good. So good, in fact, that they asked him to sing a song. I have a feeling they'll never do that again. Let's just say he shouldn't quit his day job to pursue a singing career.


Karwin, Jer and Milner - stage ho's one and all.

The pool entertainment ended up at 5 and it was time to clean up for dinner. After a morning on the golf course and and afternoon in the pool with a ballcap on most of the time, I looked pretty unattractive. My hair does this Medusa look that is just so bad. I told everyone I was off to get pretty and I recall one obviously near-sighted soul saying I already was pretty. Dude, get the eyes checked.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020