House Concert - Wishing Chair

Saturday evening found me in the beautiful Ahwatukee Foothills for another great house concert at John and Jeanne Combo's. The performers were a duo called Wishing Chair.

Wishing Chair's two members are Kiya Heartwood from Kentucky and Miriam Davidson currently from Kentucky via Long Island and Pennsylvania. They are very talented, witty and fun to watch. Kiya played guitar and drummed on a cooler and the speaker pole while Miriam played accordion, banjo and drum.

They did a lot of original stuff and it was, by turns, touching and clever. They also performed a few tunes passed down through the centuries. Kiya wrote a tune about Calamity Jane that I really dug.

The highlight was their audience participation game. They asked someone to give them a nursery rhyme and style of music and they would combine the two. It was really funny. Watching a folk singer transform to metal head and Calypso singer was quite entertaining.

Since I work the door at these shows, they thanked me with a CD, Crow. I listened to it in the car today and I really like it. In fact, I think I'm going to pick up some of their other CDs. Their harmonies and lyrics are awesome.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020