I Think We Found a Nickname...

Nicknames in our club are rarely self proclaimed. Usually, they're earned by sustained behavior or long history (Crime Dog, Mrs. Robinson), a one time event (Cheap Bastard, .11) or a combination of things over time (St. Jello-Shot Queen).

I believe I've come up with a nickname for someone who hasn't had one yet...

There's a term I've heard in poker a few times. It's "Luck Box". Generally, it means someone who may not deserve to win but who lucks out and gets the cards he or she needs to come out on top.

If ever there were a Luck Box in our club, it's got to be Annette.

Her first poker tourney, she came in Second Place. She did it despite listening to some very good advice from me and Cheap Bastard. OK, we were knocked out already so maybe the advice wasn't that good.

Not only does she win on her own, however, she gets help. Last year at the Dog Races, she made a bet on the way down to the track for our group picture. The guy gave her the wrong ticket but there was no time to change it.

Turned out to be a winning ticket.

Friday night, we were at the track again. It's become a steady refrain over the past few years, "Annette won again." It's repeated over and over and over....

After going up to make some bets, she came back to our table with a bunch of tickets and started sorting them out. Instead of giving her tickets for the next two races, the attendant had given her them for only the next race.

She called the woman a bad name. I think she even did that several times.

Of course, one of the tickets was a Quinella that paid out over $120.

Next time, I'm just going to follow Annette up to the attendant and say, "Give me what you gave her."

I'm thinking latching myself on to the Luck Box's star can't hurt.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020