Hello, My Name is Kathy and I am an Addict

I think I may be a bit too attached to my MacBook Pro. Unnaturally so, in fact.

I left it at work overnight for the first time because it was rendering a video for our Corporate Trainer and that needed a few hours more to finish. It felt so strange to walk out with only my purse. It felt even stranger leaving my house without it and then walking across the work parking lot without it tucked under my arm the next morning.

It was sitting on my desk waiting for me when I got in. Whew! Not that we have a theft problem at work at all but I was still worried about it just sitting there. It had turned off which I assumed was because it powered itself down so I pressed the on button.

Nothing happened.

I pressed it again. I tried doing it quickly. I tried holding it down for 20 seconds. No dice. It wasn't turning back on. The anxiety I felt without my computer was nothing compared to how I felt then. Panic was more of an accurate description. What was I going to do without it?!?!?

Fortunately, our newest Help Desk Tech used to work for Apple in support. I picked up my dead MacBook and carried over to him with a plaintive “It won't turn on”. He tried a few things then said he had to look some stuff up. I left him and distracted myself by getting some water.

He did figure it out and told me he had to do a reset code. Since the code required pressing four different keys at one time, I didn't bother trying to memorize it. Now that I know, I'll just look it up (on my Dell laptop which has never had this problem).

I was sooooo happy to have my MacBook back. I crooned to it, “Oh, I missed you!” as I carried it back to my desk.

A few minutes later, I was cursing it. The video had completed and I tried burning it to a disc. It failed completely to copy on the Windows (I run VMWare) side with a not very helpful message. It failed on the Mac side with an even less helpful message.

Back to the Help Desk dude. He took it away and I passed the time in a hallway conversation with one of my co-workers that I don't get to talk to often. That kept the separation anxiety to a minimum.

When I got back to my office, it was back on my desk and all better. Turned out that the reset code had also reset something with the driver for the CD/DVD writer. Another bit of magic and pixie dust and all was well again.

Whew!

I thought about leaving it home while traveling this weekend but I would have missed it too much. Now if it will only keep working properly...

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020