Tried To Be A Good World Citizen - FML

I wanted to pack drinking water for our trip to Pinetop/Lakeside a few weeks ago since I'm not drinking pop anymore. Trying to minimize my carbon footprint, I bought a 2 ½ gallon jug (the kind you put in your fridge). I didn't know if there were going to be recycling opportunities so I didn't want to have to throw away a dozen bottles.

The plan was for me to leave directly from work to Leslie's house so I packed the trunk in the morning. Suitcase, water, cardboard box with Ginger Beer and Vodka in it and my camp chair. I bailed out of work a little late but made it to Leslie's at a reasonable time.

Since she was driving, I needed to unload my stuff in to her car. The first thing I pulled out was my suitcase and I noticed something odd. It took me a moment to realize that it was wet. Quite wet.

See, what happened was that the spigot on the water got twisted open and ¾ of 2 ½ gallons of water had spilled all over my trunk. The cardboard box was a soggy mess that would have fallen apart if I'd lifted it up so it's good that I noticed before I got to that.

I abandoned the water bottle altogether and repacked the Ginger Beer and Vodka into a reusable bag that managed to escape the flood. I thought that was the worst of the damage.

I was wrong.

When we got to the cabin, I opened my suitcase to get my denim shirt off to wear that night. It was pretty darn damp. Other clothes were damp as well. My two library books that I packed were beyond damp. They were soaked through.

Dammit. I had no water, two wet books and damp clothes. What a delightful way to start my weekend.

Brenden had the idea to hang my shirt by the campfire so it would dry. It did but then smelled smokey. I just pretended the smell came from a fireman so it was OK. I draped the other clothes around the cabin to dry and prayed that the books would recover. They did a few days after I got home and left a heavy weight on them. You couldn't even tell they had gotten wet.

Heading to Utah this weekend with a case of bottled water in the car. Environment be damned, I'm not getting soaked again.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020