Poor Facebook

This was going around like the Swine Flu on Facebook this week:

If you don't know, as of today, Facebook will automatically index all your info on Google, which allows everyone to view it. To change this option, go to Settings --> Privacy Settings --> Search --> then UN-CLICK the box that says 'Allow indexing'. Facebook kept this one quiet.

It wasn't entirely accurate. If you have your info locked down in FB, then the search engines won't show it. I tested this by googling Kathy Pfister Facebook and a post that I wrote on this blog comes back along with my Twitter account and a Technorati link. (I digress but I also found an old newspaper link about our club taking second place in the Salsa Challenge.) No info from my Facebook account.

Of course, it didn't take long for people to start making fun of the dire 1984 warnings. Here are two status updates that I saw today (and reposted because they made me laugh):

As of today, Facebook staff will be allowed to eat your children and pets. To turn this option off, go to Settings, then Privacy, then Meals. Click the top button to not feed the employees of Facebook anything. Copy this to your status to warn your friends!

and...

If you don't know, as of today, Facebook will automatically start plunging the Earth into the Sun. To change this option, go to Settings --> Planetary Settings --> Trajectory then UN-CLICK the box that says 'Apocalypse.' Facebook kept this one quiet. Copy and paste onto your status for all to see.

I'm certainly not going to say that Facebook is perfect but I don't think they're going to completely eff up and show information that people have locked down to the entire world.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020