Book Review - Water for Elephants

Water for ElephantsWater for Elephants by Sara Gruen

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I avoided this book for a while because it just seemed "too" popular. That's a holdover attitude from my bookselling days when we turned up our noses at any Oprah Book Club selection and other major sellers. I had no desire to see the movie either.

However, it was picked as our book club selection this month so I read it. In one sitting. Granted, I was on a plane and couldn't get up but it kept my attention the entire time.

Alternating between present day and the early 1930s, this is the story of Jacob Jankowski, a young Veterinarian student close to graduation. A tragic event leaves him shell shocked and homeless. He finds his way to a traveling circus where the life is tough and the people are tougher. As we learn about how he fits into circus life, we also see him spending his old age in a assisted living home.

The story is well researched and I found the circus life details very interesting. I also enjoyed seeing Jacob evolve. One of my friends thought the plot was too contrived and the coincidences too convenient but she admitted her dislike may have come from the narrator of the audio book.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020