What Would You Like To Tell A Million People?

I've committed to participating in #Trust30, an online initiative and 30-day writing challenge that encourages you to look within and trust yourself. Each day you get a new message/task and can write about it in a journal, in a blog, on Twitter, even Facebook as long as you write something.

Your Personal Message by Eric Handler

To believe your own thought, to believe that what is true for you in your private heart is true for all men, that is genius.Ralph Waldo Emerson

What is burning deep inside of you? If you could spread your personal message RIGHT NOW to 1 million people, what would you say?

(Author: Eric Handler)

Oh, man. Where to start? That we're killing our planet? That we're hastening our own demises with pesticides and the evil HFCS (among so many other things we ingest)? That our politics and politicians are so flawed that we'd be better off picking people by lottery? (I actually believe that would be better.)

As I continue to think about one message, I come back to a common theme. Man's inhumanity to (wo)man done in the name of some god.

Discriminate against gays? Yep, my god tells me they're evil so it's OK.

Kill innocents with bombs? Yep, my god says they're all infidels so it's OK.

Rape women? Yep, they don't share my god so it's OK. (And, I get a bonus if I rape a lesbian because, you know, that will turn her straight.)

Molest children? Well, my god doesn't actually say it's OK but if I'm really, really sorry afterwards, it is. And, if I've been saved it doesn't matter because I get to heaven no matter what I do.

Commit suicide? Well, that depends on my god. One says it's a big no-no but another says that if you take some infidels with you, it's OK.

I could go on and on with examples of what people are willing to do (or not do) to and for other humans because "their" god commands/allows/encourages.

So, my message would be "If your god is OK with you being a shithead to other people, find another god. Or, crazy thought, consider following no god at all."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020