A New Appreciation For Caregivers

The main thought going through my mind right now is, "Thank God for my Uncle Bill."

He was at the hospital with Shorty until 10 last night and back around 6 this morning. He's probably still there now. I spent about 2 1/2 hours at lunch time at the hospital and 3 hours tonight and am exhausted. I don't know how he's doing it. And, what I really don't know is how some people can hold down a job and be a primary caregiver for an ill person. Those people are extraordinary.

The good news is that Shorty's feeling better but is still not himself. Now, we seem to have too many doctors, as well. There are two treating him and they aren't agreeing on what's going on. The staff doctor is convinced he has an infection, the surgeon thinks he doesn't and that he's actually fine.

All I know is that he's not himself. He's weak, he's uninterested in what's going on and he's befuddled. All of those symptoms seem to be decreasing though, which is comforting.

I'm going to be doing the long lunch and post work thing all week to spell my Uncle. My boss and my company are wonderful. They don't just do lip service to the concept of 'family matters most' and they're letting me come and go as need be.

I actually don't know if we're helping all that much by being with him most of the time but at least we're getting information from the doctors and nurses that we weren't before so we have a better understanding of what's going on. And, I think he's happy to have us there. At least he hasn't told us to take a hike yet.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020