Clearly, Not a Girlie Girl

I have inconsistent eyelashes. The lashes on my right eye are perfectly curly. The ones on the left stick straight out. If I put my glasses on too soon after applying my makeup, I end up with mascara all over the left lens.

It's annoying so I developed a plan to correct the issue. I'm a planner, it's what I do.

I bought an eyelash curler.

I've never used one of those before so I read the instructions. Here's what they say:

Open the curler with your thumb and middle finger. Rest the soft pad gently on the base of upper lashes. Gently press finger loops together for 5 to 10 seconds. Release lashes by slowly spreading finger loops apart.

OK. I figured I could do that. Except, I couldn't. I couldn't figure out whether pad goes on the top of the lashes or underneath. I couldn't figure out what angle to use while placing the curler against the lashes. I couldn't even figure out whether I was holding it right side up or not. Every way I tried it, it felt like I was going to either poke my eye with a sharp metal edge or end up tearing all of my lashes out.

How lame.

The planning instinct kicked in and I knew I needed to get further instruction. I googled "eyelash curler instructions" and found some video clips on youtube. Sweet - actual visuals!

I watched the first one and they spent 30 seconds on a tip about heating up the curler first to make the curl stay longer. A tip that I had actually already known. Just as they were getting ready to put the curler to the lash, it ended.

Dammit!

I watched the second one and this time saw the whole process. It was a big "Oh" moment for me. Not that kind of O; it wasn't that exciting. But, I did get it.

Yesterday morning, I was ready to try it out. It was incredibly easy, to be honest. There's even a little resting spot to go against your cheek. I'm not sure how I didn't see any of that to begin with but I have a theory.

I think I'm lacking some girlie girl genes. I can just picture two scientists examining my DNA...

Scientist One: What's this clear spot on that strand?

Scientist Two: Those are the girlie girl genes. You know, the ones that women use to apply their makeup, do their hair in stylish ways and dress well.

Scientist One: (looking at picture of subject attached to subject's chart). Ahhh, that explains a lot.

BTW, that whole heating the curler with your blow dryer before using it? You don't want to heat it too much unless your idea of a fun time is applying blazing hot metal against your eyelid.

Oh, and even with the hot curler, my lashes are still sticking straight out.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020