More Book Reviews - The Southern Vampire Mysteries

My friend, Chris, loaned me the first five books in Charlaine Harris' series of Southern Vampire books. I went through the first three on the cruise and quickly finished off the last two when I got back to dry land.

These are really enjoyable books. The heroine, Sookie Stackhouse, is a telepathic waitress at a neighborhood bar in small town Louisiana. She spends most of her energy trying to avoid reading other peoples' minds. When she meets a vampire she finds, to her delight, that she can't read him and finds it so soothing that she ends up dating him. The series takes her through lots of mysteries, adventures and introduces many interesting characters.

Harris' books are sorta Laurell K. Hamilton lite (vampires are legal citizens, shapeshifters abound...) but with less violence (not such a bad thing) and less sex (though there is sex which is a good thing). Harris makes her world unique, though, and I don't mean to make it sound like her books are less than Hamilton's. They're just different.

I give them a thumbs up.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020