The Agony of Defeat

One week into the football season and I think I’m screwed in Fantasy Football in our work league. Oh, and I think my Packers are maybe not going to the Super Bowl this year as I’d hoped.

Why? Oh, just my number two pick, Ryan Grant, going out for the season with an ankle injury that’s going to require surgery. Not only my second pick, but the starting Running Back for the Pack. Sigh.

We were at the bar watching all the games when he got hurt. He hopped off the field which made it look not so bad. They put a boot on him but word was that it was just a sprain and that was a precautionary move. Woody has Grant in our club league and was bemoaning our mutual bad luck and I kept saying (praying?), “He’ll be back. It’s not that bad.”

On Monday, I saw that he’d be out for one week so I put him on Injured Reserve (we’re allowed to carry one player there in this league) and picked by his backup, Brandon Jackson. The Rocket Scientist sent me a link today that said Grant needs surgery and will be out the rest of the season.

Son of a...the football gods are wantonly cruel. One would think after having to suffer through 2008 when Tom Brady was my first pick and he lasted 8 minutes in to the season, they would give me a break. Clearly, not.

So, I lost any chance of winning one of my head to head games in the league (we play two each week). The other one was so out of range, it’s ridiculous. The dude playing against me had Chris Johnson, Arian Foster, Greg Jennings and the Ravens D as his scoring leaders. Johnson and Foster alone could have beat me.

The only bright spot for football left is our Parrot Head league. I won my first game by a landslide, was one of the top scorers in the league and my team looks solid. My Pick ‘Em league predictions were too bad for words so this league is really the only potential highlight

Until next week when Peyton Manning goes down...what, don’t jinx it? The football gods don’t care what I say, they will punish me regardless. At least this way, I can say I predicted it.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020