Book Review - The Year of the Flood

The Year of the FloodThe Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I hosted book club this month and picked this book based on some reviews I read. Consensus was they liked it except for one person who gave up on it halfway through.

The story jumps back and forth with tales of the Gardeners, a group of preaching about the end of the world survivalists and the stories of the few Gardeners who survived the Waterless Flood. The latter is a plague/virus that wipes out most humans.

Atwood does a great job of making her stories seem not that implausible. This one could take place 20 or 30 years from now (based on the technology, the environment and society) and be completely believable.

It took me a while (about a fourth of it) to get in to the story but then I was hooked. Not a perfect story, but one that kept me intrigued until the end.



View all my reviews

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020