A Perfect Evening

I needed a charmed night and I got one. Yay, me!

Shorty's brother, Bill, came out for a long weekend. Today is Grandpa Albert's (their Dad's) birthday and they decided to celebrate it at a Diamondbacks game. Hmmm. I never knew Grandpa was in to baseball but apparently he was and even refereed.

So, the whole family went. I met them at the game and we had fabulous seats, courtesy of Uncle Bill. They were in the lower level just past the third base dugout. The roof was open and the weather was gorgeous.

Steven and I got delegated to make the food and drink run, courtesy of all the money in Shorty's wallet. We ordered up a combo of dogs and brats, a tea for my Mom and Miller Lites for Uncle Bill and me then Steven made another run to get sodas for him and Shorty. The nice man at the concession stand broke the rules and let me buy two big beers at once even though Steven left his ID at home so we only had one ID between us.

We settled in to watch the DBacks against the Phillies. Cliff Lee was pitching for Philadelphia and Steven said he wished that he'd get a no-hitter because he's never seen one in person. At this point, I don't think there's any confidence our home team.

The game was super fast but not the way Steven had wished. Ian Kennedy pitched for Arizona and he was en fuego. The game was only two hours and four minutes (I had to chug my second beer as it was the fastest game ever at Chase Field) as Kennedy struck out 12, pitched his first complete game and got his first ever shutout. Final score - AZ 4, PHI 0. Completely awesome!

Steven said he was using reverse psychology when he wished the no-hitter on Lee. Riiiiiiight.

But, the game results weren't the best part. Steven and I had a great time goofing on taking pictures and dishing on some of the "fashions" we spotted in the crowd. Shorty was just happy to have us all together. My Mom, well, she may have clapped for the wrong team but she seemed to have fun.

However, Uncle Bill had the best time of all. My Mom had gone on a restroom run and was getting back in to her seat. Steven and I were distracted by getting her settled when Kelly Johnson hit a foul ball off of Lee. It bounced right in front of us and so close that I think Steven could have grabbed it if he'd stood up. The kid in front of us whiffed on it and it took a bounce back to the aisle where Uncle Bill snagged it.

His first ever foul ball at a major league game!


One happy man (and several unhappy ones in the background)

He was so excited. And the guys around us were so ticked off. Especially, the kids in front who had missed out on it. Apparently, some dude even offered him $50 for the ball. He declined and is taking a wonderful souvenir home to Milwaukee tomorrow.

A better night couldn't have been scripted.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020