Book Review - A Discovery of Witches

A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1)A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I read a lot of great reviews of this book and my friend loaned me her copy ages ago but I just got around to reading it this weekend. While I think the premise was interesting, it was too dense. I think she could have effectively told the story without nearly 600 pages.

It's a world where witches, vampires and daemons exist in a tense truce while trying to keep under humanity's radar. Diana Bishop is a descendent from a long line of famous witches but she's determined to not use magic. Matthew Clairmont is an extremely old vampire who develops an interest in Diana after she discovers an old book that may have the secret of the origins of supernatural creatures. Other forces are out to get the book as well so Matthew takes it upon himself to protect Diana.

Lots of characters, history lessons and plot lines to follow. I'm somewhat interested in the next book but I don't feel compelled to read it. Diana and Matthew are actually the least interesting characters in the story. I wanted more with the supporting cast.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020