Boffo House Concert with Hugo Duarte and Geoffrey Rutledge

I had the neatest experience last night. I went to a House Concert at John and Jeanne Combos' to see Hugo Duarte and Geoffrey Rutledge.

A House Concert is different than a regular concert where the performers just play their tunes. In this type of event, the performers introduce each song by telling something about what inspired it or where they were when they wrote it or first performed it, etc. It's an intimate, personal situation that gives you a wonderful insight into the music.

I've seen Hugo several times in Key West but had no idea what a great storyteller he is. Some of his tales were laugh out loud funny and some were extremely poignant. They were also educational - I never knew what a Square Grouper was.

I wasn't familiar with Geoffrey's music but it was awesome. He's got a voice that's soooooo smooth and his song lyrics are quite clever. Aunt Lucy and Double Wide were crowd favorites.

The interplay between the two made it clear they like and respect each other and they were gracious and appreciative of the crowd. They each only played one cover (Hugo did a beautiful version of Creola) so we got a full dose of their original tunes. I picked up all of the CDs and loaded them into my mini this morning-I can't wait to check them out! (NASCAR's on so that takes precedence.)

And the setting...WOW! Picture a two-tiered patio with a killer view of the canyon and the city lights in the distance. Add a moon rise and coyotes howling to that picture and it just doesn't get much better. Before anyone gets any ideas, I already called dibs on having the Combos adopt me.

Comments

Crime Dog said…
Wish we could have made it. We were having our own little adventure.......
Cheesehead said…
Hmmm, driving a U-Haul across the state or hanging out with some fine musicians...the choices we have to make some time...

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020