Book Review - The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror

I'm so happy I found Christopher Moore. I picked up his book Fluke: Or, I know Why the Winged Whale Sings in one of my Border's binges last year and absolutely fell in love with his style. His characters are quirky and his plots fanciful. I'd put him somewhere between Elmore Leonard and Carl Hiassen.

The Stupidest Angel is a surreal tale built around the apparent accidental death of Santa, a town Christmas party, zombies and the incompetent Archangel Raziel. The characters include a former Xena-type actress who's gone off her rocker (and her drugs), a pot growing and smoking lawman and a talking, Rayban-wearing bat. There are also some pretty funny conversations by the dead and graphic violence (funny, graphic violence).

If you like offbeat material, Moore's your guy.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have to agree with you about "The Stupidest Angel." Definately quirky and odd. I love how so many bizzare stories are knit together. It was made more surreal for me by the fact that I read it at Disneyworld...the land of zombies, people avoiding their meds and dumb angels. What else explains the vapid princess?
I also read "Fluke" but the best of Christopher Moore I believe is "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal." Ever wondered what Jesus did to pass the years between 13 and 33? Wonder no more. I'm such a sucker for fictional books with the Virgin Mary as a character. I'm reading one now, as a matter of fact. Moore doesn't disappoint when it comes to Mary or the rest of the biblical gang. The angel Gabriel plays an important roll here also, as does Dan Brown's favorite whipping gal--Mary Magdelaine. I love books that turn entire stories on their heads by weaving in all the main elements of a story but in an entirely different way, changing the meaning completely. This book reminds me of "Wicked," which I was strongly recommending long before it made it to Broadway.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020