Life's Coincidences

Some folks may remember the MIA/POW metal bracelets from the Vietnam area (I have a friend who still wears his). I found something similar for those killed in Iraq online at www.herobracelets.org and ordered some for Paula, Steven and me. You can order specific names but I was OK with a random selection. I got them in the mail yesterday and decided to look up the soldiers so we would know something about the person we were honoring.

Here's the coincidence: one of the soldiers was Major William R Watkins III from Danville, VA who was KIA on 04/07/03. When I looked up his bio, I saw his nickname "Salty" and it all came back to me. The following is a post that was made to the PHIP Yahoo Group at that time:

Parrot Head friend is MIA in Iraq

Hi,Thought you might like to know that one of your fellow loyal Parrot Heads - also a good friend of mine - is currently missing in Iraq after his plane went down on the night of April 6/7. He is Major William (Bill)"Salty" Watkins, originally from Virginia but currently of Goldsboro, NC. Below is a link to his web site, which is also on the Parrot Head webring. If you go to his "Parrotheads & Landsharks" section,you'll see photos of Bill and his family at a Buffett event 3 days prior to 9/11/01. I don't think he had much time to update the site since then. Anyway,thought you might like to learn a little about this excellent man who shares a common passion.http://www.mindspring.com/~salted1/Since the body of the pilot flying with Salty was found and identified yesterday, the chances that he survived have now dropped significantly, but there is still hope until more is known. I hope you'll spread the news, encourage prayers for him and his family, and perhaps extend your support personality to them. I know it would mean a lot. email: wwatkins1@n...

Warm regards,Larry Laengrich,former Captain, USAF and fellow Buffett fan Plano, TX

Call it Kismet, call it a small world, but I am amazed that I would receive the bracelet that honors one of our own Parrot Head brethren.

I will wear it with the utmost honor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020