Book Review - The Book Thief

The Book Thief The Book Thief by Markus Zusak



My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars

It took me a while to get through this book, probably because of the sad subject matter. The story is narrated by Death and takes place in Germany during WWII. The title character, Liesel Meminger, is a young girl given up by her Communist parents to protect her from the Nazis and sees her brother die and that's just barely into the book. To somehow ease her pain, she steals books. Trust me, it works in the story.

It was a very interesting perspective on how the general German population suffered through the war and reacted to the events around them. I grew quite fond of several of the characters. They were all quite well developed and the last section was a huge tear-jerker. You can't have war without Death and there were a lot of deaths to keep Death working as he told the tale.

View all my reviews.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020