The Big Blowout

I don't know of any woman who loves her natural hair. If there's one who says she does, she's lying. If it's not too curly or too straight, it's the wrong color or style.

I am one of the too curly AND wrong color crowd. I've had brown, blond and red hair and I think red suits me. What doesn't suit me is the poodle like curls that I have. If it would curl without frizz, I'd be good. But, it doesn't.

For a while, I was blowing my hair dry every morning to straighten it but then I would have to use a big curling iron on it to eliminate the frizz. That was a pain and I got lazy so, lately, I just put a lot of product on it and let it go or put it in a ponytail on really humid days.

A few months ago, I heard of a straightening treatment called a Brazilian Blowout (insert own dirty joke here, everyone else does). It's a semi-permanent treatment that's not supposed to damage your hair and it looked awesome. It also cost a fortune - the ad I saw was $350. I hate my hair but not that much.

Then, a friend of mine in California had it done. Her hair was way curlier than mine to begin with and the results were amazing. Her hair looked and felt smooth and without tangles and she had a nice wave in it. She also got it done for a lot lower price.

That pretty much sealed the deal that I was getting it done. The only question was when and where. I'm actually heading to California this weekend. We're driving and I got my two traveling companions to agree to leave even earlier in the morning so I could go to my friend's salon. But, I just couldn't wait so I called a place here in town. It was $100 more than the California price but still less than $350 and it was worth not inconveniencing my friends.

I got a little nervous before the treatment but it helped that I had two crappy hair days in a row leading up to it. I figured it just couldn't be any worse than it was.


Before From The Back

I was a total nerd and had the stylist take pictures of my hair. I know I'd want them for posting.



I Look Excited, Don't I?

Here's the routine:

1. Deep cleaning wash.
2. Application of a keratin solution with a color brush on every strand of hair.
3. Hot blow dry of hair (really hot).
4. Oven hot (450 degrees!) flat ironing of each section of hair. She did it five times each and could go as much as 10 if I'd wanted bone straight hair.
5. Another wash and application of some sort of sealant that was left in my hair.
6. Blow dry to show me how it turned out and to give me ideas on how to style it on my own.

Total time was 2 1/2 hours. It's supposed to last up to 3 months.


I Think I Look Even More Excited!


I Think This Picture is Just Incredible


Next Day After Styling

I got up the next morning and it was so different than what I was used to. My hair is usually completely tangled and I can't even run a comb through it when I get up. It was still perfectly smooth and shiny. I jumped in the shower and washed it with Sulfate free shampoo and conditioner, applied a little serum while it was wet and let it hair dry for a while. Then, I did a quick blow dry and a little curl on the ends in the front and I was good to go.

I've gotten tons of compliments on it, even from one of my work buds who begged me not to do it. She has straight hair and envied my curls. Upkeep is very easy and my hair looks longer and healthier than before the treatment.

I think I've acquired a fairly expensive habit but it's worth it (and cheaper than crack...I think).

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020