A Tale of Two Servers

I went out with Doona for dinner this week at Rula Bula. It's a cool, Irish pub in downtown Tempe. A lot of the interior was imported from Ireland, the food is good and I'm always happy in a place with Guinness on tap.

We got a table (after a few minutes confusion over who was sitting us where) and ordered some drinks. I went with the Half and Half (Guinness and Harp, yummy). Our server brought them then took our food order. The food was good and I ordered another pint halfway through the meal.

Within a minute or two of clearing our plates away, the server brought our check. In what seemed like less than two minutes later, she was back asking if it was ready to pickup. We hadn't even touched it and I still had half a pint to go so we waived her off. Doona had the bird's eye view and said she was obviously jonesing for us to clear out and was repeatedly checking to see if we'd gotten our money out. She came back at one point and asked if I wanted another beer and I declined. Shortly after that, we took pity on her and paid the bill.

We bailed right after that, not wanted to give the server a stroke over worrying about when we would actually leave the table. The place was a little busy but it wasn't like they had people lined up out the door. Our server probably could have relaxed a bit. Maybe she's knew and hasn't learned that the more you bug the diners, the less the tip can be.

I've spent considerable time this week rebuilding one of our development servers. We had to buy a new, bigger drive for the machine so it was a complete redo. Our new UNIX guy and I started on the actual construction yesterday at 3 PM.

Nearly 4 hours later, I gave up and called Sugar Daddy for advice. He is the most gifted technologist I've ever met. I tell him he's a frakking genius and I mean it...when it comes to technology. He worked on it with us for a while (and kinda took over but that was OK) and we got it up and running. (Turns out you can't install the master device on a cylinder with zero - how's that for geekspeak?)

I'd planned to work late anyway but I felt sorry for the UNIX guy since I seriously cut into his drinking time. He headed out after 7 and I stuck around doing configuring and database creations until after 9.

I logged in this morning ready to restore data and ran into another problem. After farting around with it for an hour, I had to call SD again. I really hate to do that because I should know some of this stuff by now but at a certain point, you have to stop spinning your wheels.

All seems to be working now so I'll have happy developers on Monday.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020