Book Review - A History of the World in 100 Objects

A History of the World in 100 ObjectsA History of the World in 100 Objects by Neil MacGregor
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book is really dense. Literally and figuratively. The text is over 650 pages and there's an additional 50 for reference material. I actually had to take a break every few objects or so just to rest my hands. Oh, to have an iPad!

MacGregor is the Director for the British Museum and the basis of this book started with a BBC radio show where they described and detailed out the relevance of each object. I'm happy that I read the actual text because it's supplemented by some beautiful photos.

From ancient tools, pots and carvings to maps, coins, instruments and even the credit card, MacGregor does a great job of explaining the history of the object as well as it's relation to the world as it existed in its time. It was quite the history lesson and full of the trivia that I love to know and spout in order to look smarter than I am.

This would be a great read for a history buff.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020