CD Review - The Late Great Southwest

It seems like I've been waiting for D. Mulligan's CD forever. I think he first talked about it a few years ago when his brother, Trop Rock favorite Mark Mulligan, was doing a house concert in Tucson. Heck it may have been less than two years but it's been a long time.

It's finally here! I've listened to it several times and already knew three of the songs because he's played them at several gigs.

To get an idea about D's music, consider Mark's. Mark's is all about fun, sun, love, drinking with buddies in Mexico, happy, happy joy, joy. This is the guy who wrote a song about he doesn't sing the Blues.

Go 180 degrees from that and you'll get an idea of D's style. Lots of breakups and breaking up and surprising mentions of guns. As you may guess by the title, a lot of the songs mention or evoke visions of Arizona.

My favorite tune is Don't Wake Up. It's one of the tunes D's played for us before and I swear I don't like it just because he talks about being in his bed. Really. My second favorite was a new one to me called Collapsible Plans, a kind of modern Bonnie and Clyde story with a tragic, and disturbing, ending. It's quite compelling.

I plan on putting this CD into my permanent rotation. If you like country/folk/beach rock, you'll like this CD.

If you get me in person, I'll even share my embarrassing story about the two of us (and Mark). You can check out the lyrics and more about D at his website, D. Mulligan. Most importantly, you can buy the CD for only $15 US Dollars. Mine was delivered pronto with a signed note. You won't get that from Buffett!

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020