Night Owls Need Not Apply

I recently moved over to another building at work. It took me a few days to realize that the place pretty much shuts down when the Receptionist leaves. It doesn't matter if it's noon or 5, when she goes out the door she shuts off the lobby and main hallway lights. The hallway that leads to my new locale, btw.

So, I sit in the near dark but that's not so bad.

What is bad is that the cleaning people start working in the middle of the afternoon. Nothing like not being able to use the breakroom or the upstairs bathroom because they're being cleaned. Seems like it takes hours for them to finish. And it's especially nice to have to tiptoe around the huge bags of garbage stacked up on the breakroom floor.

Then there's the vacuuming. I think that takes an hour. An hour during which there are cords strewn about the place and you can't make a phone call for fear of having to say, "Sorry about the jet engine noise in the background." We've tried to work in an office with the door closed but they just barge in, vacuum first.

The vacuum process was quite the special treat tonight. The woman doing it was listening to music and sang.

Badly.

Literal caterwauling. I just sat there thinking, "I'm having to program and listen to this screeching. Just kill me now." That will teach me to not bring my iPod every day.

This all goes on from 3 to 7 each night and every night. It's almost enough to make me switch to an early shift.

Almost...getting to work at 6 AM is a little ambitious for me.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020