It Wasn't Me!

It was raining Saturday morning when I woke up at 6 AM. You really don't want to hear a steady rain outside your window when you know you have to golf in an hour. At least, I don't.

I got up and ready in case they were going to let us tee off on time. I ran into Moose while getting my clubs and he said the Doppler showed the storm was going to move off in 30 minutes so we were going out. I got mocked for my apparently unattractive Corona rain poncho that Gary and Lewie got me in Key West but at least I didn't get soaked.

There was some dawdling but we all headed out close to on time. The carts were soaked, there were puddles all over and I almost biffed it getting into my cart because the floor was incredibly slippery. That's the setup for the story.

We were the second to last cart to head out. Eric was driving (because the Princess doesn't) and the last cart was parked perpendicular to us on his side, waiting to follow us out. One of the golf pros was standing between the two carts talking to us. Cathy, the other driver got into her cart and all hell broke loose.

Her foot slipped and hit the gas, sending her cart full speed into us. The pro tried to jump out of the way and Eric tried to brace him with his hand against his chest while I just looked on in complete horror.

You know the scene in A Christmas Story where Ralphie drops the lug nuts and, in slow motion, says "Fudge!", only it wasn't really Fudge? It was just like that.

The pro uttering a profanity while trying to jump up on to our cart to avoid being pinned. The other cart barreling into us. Cathy looking as horrified as I must have done. I saw it all in slow-mo.

When it was done, Cathy was on the ground on her back in a puddle. The impact had thrown her from the cart. The pro had somehow avoided being pinned between the two carts but he was shell shocked and trying to walk it off.

Cathy was terribly embarrassed but uninjured and totally worried about the pro. The pro turned his right ankle and twisted his left knee. We were pretty sure he was going to be off to the emergency room for an MRI but we saw him later that day and he was sore but okay. (I saw him the next day and his knee had swollen up quite a bit but he was still walking). Eric had banged his elbow on the cart but was otherwise fine.

Perhaps we should have read this before we started!

They told us to head out so we did. Eric had the same thing happen to him a few holes out. He got in the cart and his foot completely slipped just like Cathy's did. Scary.

By the time we got back to the party after golf, the story had grown legs. The pro was mangled and it wasn't Cathy driving the cart. That part had turned into me and I had to explain it all countless times.

I've decided my new club name is going to be "I'm not that Kathy".

That Cathy's new club name is "Crash".

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020